Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default HP LaserJet 4M -- Yipes! Black stripes!

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"me" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

From service manual;

Table 7-17 Random Horizontal Black Lines

Possible Cause Action

Laser/Scanning Assembly Replace the Laser/Scanner Assembly.
misaligned or damaged.

DC Controller PCA Replace the DC Controller PCA

Thanks for the confirmation of my intuitive analysis.

It's a simple fix -- but who knows what it will cost?

Well, what i would do is see if you get lucky. Take the unit apart. take
the toner cart out of it. take the boards out and blow them off outside
or carefully vacuum them inside. (you don't want toner dust all over).

THen carefully check connectors on the boards and check for cold solder
joints. I had a LJ2 that got funky and started working when i cleaned it
out and resoldered connections.

Bob