Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP LaserJet 4M -- Yipes! Black stripes!

"Tim Phipps" wrote in message

In the UK at least you can pick up these printers on eBay fairly
cheap so possibly a good source of parts. As you are probably
aware, the 4 is the same as the 4M except for the PostScript
module.

I found several companies selling "refurbished" 4Ms for $200 or less --
shipping included. One wonders just how "refurbished" they are, or how long
they'll last.

I bought the 4M precisely because it supported PostScript, which was
critical for me. I would never own a printer that didn't support PostScript.
(It's nice to know that what comes out of a PostScript photosetter thousands
of miles away will exactly match what you printed out in your home office.)

It's funny how the 4M was touted as a Macintosh printer, when it works
perfectly well with Windows. (At the time the 4M came out, the Macintosh OS
natively supported PostScript.)