Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Phipps Tim Phipps is offline

Default HP LaserJet 4M -- Yipes! Black stripes!

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Tim Phipps" wrote
in message ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Suggest that you try the forums over on www.fixyourownprinter.com. I've
a couple of 4M and 4 Plus that I've kept running with info from that site.

I've already looked there, posted, and been given bad advice by a resident
expert. He misread my problem and assumed I was talking about vertical lines
along the edge. (I have that problem, too, but it's minor.)

Unfortunately, I know no one who owns one of these printers. I'll have to
call HP and some local repair shops tomorrow.

The odds are pretty good that the laser diode is failing.

This printer (made by Canon) is over 15 years old. It's a great product, and
I'd rather repair it than buy a new one.

In the UK at least you can pick up these printers on ebay fairly cheap
so possibly a good source of parts. As you are probably aware, the LJ 4
is the same as the 4M except for the postscript module.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email