Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Play in headstock bearings

I have heard of a "full shim pack" but have not found such an creature
in my machine. Perhaps because I don't know where to look. Sheldon did
make machines with Timkin roller bearing heads and ball bearing as
well, I believe, but my machine is not one of these. My lathe was sold
to the Navy in 43 so it possibly intended to go down with the ship. It
survived the war and was surplussed and ended up in storage for some
school system. I bought it three owners later. The Sheldon parts
people wanted $400 for a compound feed nut several years ago. With
that as a gauge I figure the price for a set of bearings would be
outrageous. Besides, they have not answered two email inquires in the
last two months.