Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How about the One Laptop Per Child computer?

On 06/01/2008 14:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some of the statements in that show a remarkable lack of
knowledge of patent cases

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm assuming a local Nigerian representative will
have had relatively little cause to mount a similar defence? If they are
strapped for cash, maybe that can't afford much better.

Actually, I hadn't realised Intel had ever joined in until
I read that.

No doubt their $6m was welcome, but I bet it came with a lot of pressure
to use Intel chips instead of AMD (and probably indirectly to use M$
instead of linux) for an OLPC2.

they were producing a competing product at the time.

And the final straw seems to have been when Intel tried to "turn" a
Peruvian order for 270,000 OLPCs into a Classmate order.