Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home wind turbines dealt a blow

nafuk wrote:
On 6 Jan, 13:09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

wrote:
"Home wind turbines are significantly underperforming and in the worst
cases generating less than the electricity needed to power a single
lightbulb, according to the biggest study of its kind carried out in
Britain.
An interim report revealed that homeowners could be being misled by
the official figures for wind speeds because they are consistently
overestimating how much wind there is - sometimes finding that real
speeds are only one third of those forecast. In the worst case
scenario, the figures indicate that it would take more than 15 years
to generate enough 'clean' energy to compensate for the manufacture of
the turbine in the first place":
That'll be because the vast majority of things designed to combat the
'excessive use of natural resources' and to challenge the 'deadly threat of
global warming' are, in fact, a complete load of old ********.

Yes.

We could no more reverse any change in the climate, however miniscule, than
we could put out a volcano by getting a small boy to **** on it, and a fan
and an alternator onna stick from B&Q would be even less effective.

Well we CAN reverse the climate, but not using a load of CFLs and widnmills.

Si

Reducing our greedy energy consumption is not just about reducing
global warning. It can also eleviate other problems such as diesel
emmisions, noise, landfill, waste transport etc. etc. all of which
kill.

Reducing our energy consumption is not necessarily anything to do with
CO2 or waste and landfill.

This is another GreenMyth.

Many energuy sources have no CO2 impact whatsoever in operation, and not
a lot on building either.

- nuclear.
- wind
- geothermal
- hydroelectric.
- direct solar

All these have another factor in common: largely the energy is free,so
arguments about 'but you cant turn them on and off at will' (nuclear,
geothermal wind) is totally ********. You can just dump the excess
capacity at no real extra cost.

I WISH the Bunny Huggers would understand that we don't have an energy
problem. We have a resource and pollution problem. The planet is awash
with free energy, only limited by the cost of turning it into
electricity, and the pollution that may, or may not, result.

What we are short of is metals, and oil/gas. What we have too much of is
*waste* metals, oils (plastics), and gas...we can't do much about he
metals apart from recycling them, but we sure can synthesize the rest if
we need them and *have the energy* to do it.