Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Home wind turbines dealt a blow

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 01:26:15 -0800 (PST) someone who may be cynic
wrote this:-

As I see it the major problem is the concentration of housing. Country
stand alone properties would have a much better chance then a house in
a town with the interference effect of the adjacent properties. A
relatively low level turbine such as would have a chance of being
passed by planners would spend its entire life in the turbulence zone
above the roofs and suffer scordingly.

As it says in the article:

"But the environmental consultancy running the project, Encraft,
said there was noticeable disparity between poor results in urban
and suburban areas - such as the west London area where Conservative
leader David Cameron hopes to put up a turbine - and far better ones
in high-rise and coastal locations.

"Other research, however, shows that seven out of 10 people say
seeing turbines reminds them to save energy, said Matthew Rhodes,
Encraft's managing director. 'There is no doubt that microgeneration
as a whole has a critical role to play in delivering a low carbon
and secure energy future for the UK.

"'Micro wind turbines are part of this mix, but they need to be
installed in a responsible and appropriate manner.'"

As I have said in the past, before installing a local wind turbine
people should measure wind speeds to get an idea of what it will do.
http://www.navitron.org.uk/pricelist.htm has a little weather
station for 85 pounds which will measure this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh