Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default thermostat setting

ransley wrote:

On Jan 5, 2:19 am, "James Sweet" wrote:

wrote in message

My thermostat runs my furnace about once every hour when it is 20
degrees and I am thinking about adjusting the swing on the thermostat
to a lower number so that the system keeps a more consistent temp. Is
this going to cost me more in gas. The swing will allow the system
(set at 62 for heat) to come on at 61 and run it up to 63. So the
swing is 3 degrees. I figure I might go to 2 or one to cycle the
system more and be more consistent temp. Any thoughts?

Give it a try and see what happens. It sounds like your furnace is oversized
though, ideally on the coldest days you ever see, it should run nearly
constantly to maintain the desired temperature, though 61F is much colder
than usual, I would size it to maintain 70 so you have a bit of margin.

It might take 5 minutes for the furnace to get to full efficency,
running once per hour is not much 61f and a 3f swing for me is
uncomfortable,

It must be torture for you to leave the house. What are you, the
princess who could feel the pea through 20 mattresses?

10 minute running cycles are short but I dought you
will notice a difference narrowing the cycle