Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Clausing 5904 vfd conversion pictures in dropbox

"
giant snip -------------
I like the idea of putting a tach display into the project box
with the speed control pot -- and a panic button is not a bad thing to
add, too. I would drive the tach display from a magnetic impulse pickup
counting the teeth on the bull gear. That should give you pulses close
enough together so you don't have to wait for a full rotation or two at
the slower speeds before you get a valid reading.

for what it's worth, when I put a VFD on my 12 inch Logan/Powermatic, I
added an RPM display as well- I used a little (3/16 diameter) proximity
sensor that counted teeth on a convenient gear affixed to the spindle, then
set the display to divide the proper number to display in true RPM - works
great - I removed the large switche that had been the forward/reverse
switch, replaced it with a small toggle switch, and installed the RPM
display where the previous fwd/reverse switch had been.

This all seems pretty obvious to me, but if anyone really needs pictures and
stuff, ask and tell me what part you need photos of and I'll take some and
put them in the drop box