Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Three letter acronyms

robgraham wrote:

Could professional and knowledgeable contributors please be aware that
they are confusing us in the real world with the usage of their
collections of TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms). These are fine in the
work place, but are useless and irritating elsewhere.

I agree that there are some that are known by all but there are many
that are peculiar to specific areas of plumbing, electricity, etc and
in the end an answer becomes useless if it cannot be understood
because of shortcuts in the language.

While I sympathise with what you are saying, it seems it is not
unreasonable to expect the person asking the question to do a little of
their own research as well. Even if that means doing a quick google, or
just posting a reply saying "WTF does that mean?". For some technical
subjects (like electrical) where precision in terminology is important,
it can be very hard going to type out fuller versions of MCB, CU, or CFL
every time they are used.

You may find some of these helpful also:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Glossary
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...rical_Glossary
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...hting_Glossary
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wood_Glossary

(in fact just searching the wiki will often turn up an answer)

--
Cheers,

John.