Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default cost of building a home

In article KE5fj.7984$v_4.3829@trnddc03,
(dadiOH) says...
SUBS YOU'LL NEED

Concrete - may or may not do site prep and footers. If not, you'll
need a tractor man to scrape off the overburden and a layout man to do
footers.

Block

Fill

Plumber

Framer

HVAC

Electrician

Roofer

Drywall

Stucco

Painter

Finish carpenter

Others?

Just off the top of my head, they will also need a well driller cum
water system installer, septic system installer, insulation contractor,
cabinet maker, counter installer, flooring contractor for each different
type of floor, maybe tile setter and/or brick mason, entertainment-
telephone-data-alarm system pre-wire, and perhaps a landscape
contractor.

If they buy off-the-shelf cabinets, the finish carpenter can set them,
but they will still need someone to do the counter tops. The world has
moved past self-edge and Formica.

The expense of modern homes is the feature set. The structure is still
pretty much the same, but standards of performance have snowballed.
Nobody wants to pay a fortune for air conditioning or heat, which means
attention to energy efficiency. For that matter, nobody wants to live
without central heat or air conditioning. I was a teenager before my
parents installed their first furnace, and was almost 40 years old
before I owned my first furnace.

The newest thing is the expansion of data lines into a service utility
just like power and water. In the near future, you will need to connect
your home entertainment system to the internet, and nobody has yet
proposed a wireless standard that will transmit a 1080p signal. You
need a megabit ethernet cable to a surprising number of locations. I
have been pulling cable through my crawl space, but if you have a slab
house, that's a problem. I pre-wired HDMI and audio cables during my
last remodel, but now I wish I had done more. This may seem minor, but
it all adds up.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.