Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default A Scottish Tip

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:09:26 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Ken Vaughn's big thing is thrift store senior day.. especially looks for rolling
pins because they're often maple....

I bought a table for $10 a few years ago that was used for several pens (the
legs) and 4 small dishes..

I hope it's ok to post about woodturning.
Some purists might object, but others might want to check out the
kitchen wares section of local thrift stores. I've found several salt
and pepper mills, some small, some large, but all dirty, varnished,
machine turned and generally ugly, but they cost less than a dollar and
the wood and mechanisms are quite good. What other post-holiday thrift
store bargains have you found?

A set of small chuck jaws and a 60deg. tail center work for re-turning
or just sanding these mills. Jam chucks to fit inside the mills work
also and are easy to make. There is enough wood for changing the form or
just "crisping" the factory design. The wood is nice left unfinished,
plus the metal cleans up well and is decent quality, but even I threw
away the salt, rice, pepper and cinnamon sticks I found someone had left
inside.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac