Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chas Hurst Chas Hurst is offline

Default help on sheet forming process!

"RoyJ" wrote in message
These guys are somewhat local to me. IIRC, they have a suitable roller.
http://www.bendtec.com/architec.html

I'm inclined to believe the OP is real on the thickness, the drawings show
a pretty hefty thickness in relation to the width. The blank would be a
20' piece of 5/8"x 8"(?) 304. Calculated weight would be 336 pounds. I
haven't priced stainless lately, not calibrated on that one. I'd certainly
hope to get it for less that $5 a pound, that would put the piece under
$2000.

My biggest concern is the OP may think that a fabricated piece will hold
the same tolerances as a machined piece. BTDT, had a very unhappy
customer.

I agree a fabrication would present problems.
It's possible a casting could be made. A quick search just dug up a few
companies that have the capability.

Ed Huntress wrote:
"RoyJ" wrote in message
The easiest way to do this is in a good sized roll bender...

"Good sized"? Roy, 15mm material thickness is over 0.59". The cone is
attached to the straight cylinder, so one edge is going to have to be
stretched or the other is going to have to be shrunk -- or a little bit
of both -- while you keep that blend radius intact.. And this is
stainless! You can't just roll it. you have to iron it at the same time,
and ironing it out so it doesn't twist is going to be an extreme
metalworking job.

Unless you have access to the machines used for making Saturn V rocket
nozzles, I think there is a problem here. d8-) The forces involved are
astronomical.

--
Ed Huntress