Posted to uk.d-i-y
john[_7_] john[_7_] is offline

Default PIR v Dawn Dusk

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Someone recently described a 500w PIR flood light as "fixing a half bar
electric fire outside".

A fire tends to be left on, a light doesn't unless there is lots of activity
or it is faulty.

Which has got me thinking. Especially given the unreliability of 500w
halogen lamps/lights.

I have never known them to be unreliable, it's usually people don't know how
to fit them or wire them.

So, given the choice between a 500w PIR halogen & an 11w CFL dawn dusk
light - which will be cheaper to run?

Who cares, I would prefer a nice bright light rather than one that uses 11w
and stays on.

Obviously an 11w CFL dawn/dusk will be on for a much longer period, but is
low energy, won't be triggered randomly & will have a longer service life
PIR lights being a PITA IMO (sorry Rob)!

No one will take any notice of a small 11w light.

On the other hand a 500w halogen PIR in theory will be on for much shorter
periods, but will consume much more power.

Only while it is on.

Again in theory an 11w CFL could be on for 45 times as long for the same
energy.

So get a huge LED type which will use a lot less than 11w. You might need
to make it yourself.

So which one is the best deal for the customer?

The cheapest one which is a 500w. It's more effective.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk