Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gotde T Shirt Gotde T Shirt is offline

Default Low Energy Bulbs "worsen rashes"

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 22:22:36 GMT, Clot wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jan 4, 10:42 pm, wrote:
On 4 Jan,
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 20:26:16 GMT, "ARWadworth"
wrote:

Is there are conspiracy against low energy lamps going on?

One would hope so. At least until they improve dramatically.

Wot's wrong with them? I've used them exclusively for about 20 years.

Is there anything wrong with your brain?
Or do you talk like you write?

These light bulbs are toxic. They can affect your brain. They contain
small amounts of mercury.

I don't know if that is native mercury or a more reactive compound.
You must dispose of them carefully as incinerators will produce toxic
fumes with them.

All that without our having the slightest idea of the damage they have
the potential for.

What hogwash! Do you subscribe to the emotive department of some Green Group
rather than trying to be rational?

Back in my youth we would play with mercury splashing the little balls
about. A game that is rightly not available to kids today.

Incinerators are closely monitored for their emissions; approx. 30% of the
capital investment is in scrubbing the emissions so that Hg does not get
into the environment. The controls, IIRCC, are tighter than those on power
stations.

It is no longer permitted or possible to buy mercury thermometers. The use
of mercury is tightly controlled.

The quantities involved in CFLs is minute compared to former use. Facilities
are being developed to recycle CFLs and tubes (though slowly) so that they
will not have to be incinerated with their mercury content present - though
whether this is sensible is a moot point - perhaps we should catch all the
mercury through an incinerator scrubber and then recover minerals from the
ash?

Water is "toxic": I have two references available (well, will be once I've
got this new PC sorted out) about two individuals who have died from
excessive consumption of water.

Get a grip and be rational.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html