Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default log splitter

willshak wrote:

on 1/4/2008 8:36 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

On Jan 4, 7:54 pm, willshak wrote:

on 1/4/2008 6:09 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

On Jan 4, 4:28 pm, willshak wrote:

on 1/4/2008 3:51 PM said the following:
anyone use one of those sliding hammer log splitters? If so what do

you think of them. I have a small amount of wood to split and dont
need a big thing. Also would prefer to do it the easiest way
possible. Already broke the handle on my axe!

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"Manually operated, two speed pump builds up to 10 tons of log-
splitting pressure fast."
What's their definition of "fast"?

I guess their definition is "not slow".

And what do they mean by "two speed pump"?

Two pump handles on one bottle jack. As I said in an earlier post, you
can get some cross country ski training with it.

FYI...here's the
manual...http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/39981.PDF

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Two pump handles on one bottle jack

I guess that could mean "two speed" if one arm moved faster than the
other.

If I were marketing this device I'd have used "variable speed pump"
since the user can determine how fast he moves the handles.

"Variable speed" sounds even more impressive than "two speed." g

"Double speed" would be even better. Having only one pump handle on a
bottle jack requires that you pull the handle to pump the fluid into the
jack, then you have to push the handle back to start the next pump
action. With 2 handles, while you are resetting one handle, the other
handle is being pulled to pump the fluid. Alternating pumping and
resetting with each handle, therefore doubling the pump action. I guess
that would be faster.
Think of a cross country skier with only one ski pole, and then a CC
skier with two ski poles. Which one would go faster?

What happens if you pull both handles at the same time? Would
that be double speed?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.