Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Honda Co-Generation Unit

wrote:
With a cogeneration unit, the heat output is counted as useful output
instead of waste heat when calculating efficiency. �But that's fair only
if you actually need the water heating.

Precisely my point -- when posting that the cooling towers indicate that
the central generating station is less efficient, that implied the
comparison to the generation. �Ain't no little pos generator such as
this going to come close for the generation side efficiency which is all
I was referring to.
--

true,

another thing people living off grid in rural places may have a gas
well, around here they are pretty common.....

sometimes they wqere drilled for oil many years ago, when production
decreases the original property owner pays a fee to buy the well, for
its natural gas.

i met a guy that did just that, he heated his home etc off free
natural gas, although he wasnt off grid. around karns city pa.

Very few any more that still allow a free tap if the well is in
production at all. Totally abandoned and expired lease, but how many of
those are there...

Until about 10 years ago or so, we had an uncharged tap off the main
cross-country pipeline that was a condition grandfather made when
negotiating right-of-way. That lasted for 60 years or so, but no more.
At least we weren't cut off entirely which is what most of the
lease-holders have done for the single-well taps. It's been a major
problem for those who relied on it for irrigation wells, grain driers,
and other agricultural needs even more than simply household heating.