Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Amazing desk light (electronics)

"Ignoramus8343" wrote in message
I purchased a desk light at Home Depot. It has an amazing featu it
is switched by touching its base. It does not have a mechanical
switch. All I have to do to turn it on, is to touch it. Very clever.

I have one of those less than two feet from me now. Each successive touch
would cycle through a low setting, a high setting, and "off." It was very
expensive at the time -- 22 years ago. g

The touch feature eventually went nuts; the light would go on an off at
random times. This burned out bulbs rather quickly and they're those 40 W
high-intensity lamps that cost over $3. So I shut off the feature (there's a
knob on top that overrides the touch feature) and built a homemade dimmer
with a triac and diac. It works fine now without the touch feature.

I hope yours is more reliable than mine proved to be.

--
Ed Huntress