Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Dell

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel says...
In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

Ditto. I would really like to see open source take over
from Microsoft. Ubuntu installed fine on my computer. The
big problem was getting the internal modem to work with it.
In short it didn't and there didn't appear to be any
drivers to make it work. Wasted hours trying to sort it out
but gave up in the end.

Probably a Winmodem (which is just a phone line interface,
and not really a modem, as the modem is implemented in the
Windows driver.)

I don't know. I will definitely give Ubuntu or it's
successor another go in the future if I've got more time to
try to sort out any problems. I think open source / free
licence software will eventually knock Microsoft off it's
spot, but it will take a few years. Microsoft can't compete
with "free" for ever, provided the competition is good
enough.
--
David in Normandy