Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default It's for the children

DerbyDad03 wrote:

At my company, T-Stats by DerbyDad, we chose to number our products
with the first 4 digits being the model number, the next 8 being the
serial number, and the last 6 being the date code. My competitor,
Feng Shui TempControl (a Japanese company) chooses to end all of their
serial numbers with a 4 digit plant code based on where the devices
were assembled.

Who is going to make us change the way we chose to run our private
enterprises?

Somebody should.

Eighteen digits is something like 123,456,789,123,456,789 which is enough
numbers to assign over a million unique identifiers to every person on the
planet!

Does your product number include a check-digit? No? With eighteen digits,
you're guaranteeing trouble.

How hard would it be to take the serial number and LOOK UP the model and
date?