Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default log splitter

wrote in message
anyone use one of those sliding hammer log splitters? If so what do
you think of them. I have a small amount of wood to split and dont
need a big thing. Also would prefer to do it the easiest way
possible. Already broke the handle on my axe!

I took my fiberglass handled maul splitter and mounted it with a pivot point
at the base of the handle by simply drilling a hole. Got a stump. Made a
bracket to connect the two. My maul now works on gravity. You set your
piece of wood on the stump and align it. You lift the maul head to vertical
and release. It falls and whacks the piece. At times I will help it out
with a bungee on bigger pieces.

I have a large log splitter, so I only need one to make smaller pieces for
kindling and firesrtarting. I don't trust myself with an axe or hatchet to
split the smaller pieces. This works so simply.

Now, if you got bigger pieces to split, buy a splitter or learn how to use
splitting tools.

Steve