LP

Default SMITHY DC Drive (Was Buyer beware! Smithy Company. Midas 1720)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:08:34 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Wild Bill wrote:

How's the DC drive coming along Ted?

It isn't (yet). Too many other projects of higher priority. Hopefully
this fall or winter. I plan to adapt the motor and run it off a large
Variac until I get around to building a controller.

Ted

Interesting. I just recently trashed my Smithy motor and replaced it
with a 1.5HP motor/controller from surpluscenter.com. Wired it thru
the stock switch to retain on/off/reversing.

Probably a treadmill motor but it does well for me. Surpluscenter
recommends adding a fan for cooling at low speed but so far I havent
seen enough heat to warrant it. Probably should have mounted the
motor below the table instead of where the stock motor was. This one
is wide open and in a location to collect a lot of chips. A sheet
metal deflector suffices for the moment but its an inelegant solution.

Motor and controller together was $100 as I recall. Well worth it.
Next is to add power to the lead screw in the same manner Ted did.
Right after I get the DRO all hooked up of course The twiddling
and modifying has no end it seems

LP