Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

Default which dro option is best suited for a 3 in 1 machine?

In article ,
says...

I'm looking at a shumatech dro kit for my smithy 1220ltd. I'm a
complete amateur with my machine and can't decide if the milling
version or the lathe version is best for my use.

I'm leaning toward the mill version because I seem to use it more than
my lathe but some of the lathe options in the shumatech dro look
pretty nice.

I'm also considering getting both lathe and mill dro face plates and
just reprogramming the dro whenever I switch operations.

I had the same decisison to make for my Shoptask. I went with the milling
version. The thing I think was best about the lathe version is the
diameter/radius setting, but I am so used to doubling the cutting depth on the
cross slide on mnaual lathes that it isn't any real disadvantage. Whereas the
milling version has great features like bolt circles that are huge time savers.

We had a discussion with Scott on the forum several years ago on this topic.
There simply isn't enough memory on the chips to support more functions and
make a switchable version, but there is enough to add the diameter function to
the milling version by dropping something as I recall.

--
Dennis