Don Foreman

Default heating element spliceing question

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:08:38 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Some time back, I managed to scrounge up another Thermalyne heat
treating oven. Cute lil thing, about a 5x5x8 cavity.
Checking to see why it wouldnt heat, I found that one leg of the
heating element had broken.

This particular oven has three sides made of the element embedded in a
ceramic, so three sides come out at one time. The leg from the switch
broke off flush with the top of the ceramic. I carefuly chipped away
at the ceramic until I got about 3/8" of the lead exposed. It needs
about a 3" piece of some thing spliced to it, to make the run to the
terminal strip.

Given a similar situation on an electric stove, I made a new end with
O/A and some #6 Stellite. This was at least five years ago and the
contact is still bright and shiny. In your situation, I would weld on a
piece of SS or Nichrome wire much heavier than the heating element using
the Stellite as filler.

Gunner, I have a few pieces of stellite rod that Ted gave me. If you
have TIG or O/A I'd be glad to send you a bit of it in an envelope.
It's .132" dia but you could always grind it down. Hammering it
doesn't work; it shatters.