Posted to alt.home.repair
ATJaguarX ATJaguarX is offline

Default Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

On Jan 4, 9:18*am, ransley wrote:
On Jan 4, 8:56*am, ATJaguarX wrote:

On Jan 3, 10:50*pm, ransley wrote:

On Jan 3, 8:49*pm, ATJaguarX wrote:

On Jan 3, 6:01*pm, dpb wrote:

ATJaguarX wrote:

I can understand the oversized furnace issue. *

Well, the first reference concludes that their research to determine the
effect of sizing on efficiency wasn't so successful -- see earlier
quote. *I also doubt unless it were _grossly_ wrong that the cycling off
a few times per hour could be measured in reduced longevity vis a vis
the more continual operation.

What I don't understand
is why my furnace will shut off and fire back up 10 mins later when I
have my thermostat set to 69 degrees. *I would think that the furnace
should be able to stay off for longer then that. *I've noticed that
the thermostat never drops a single degree before it kicks the furnace
back on again. *Is there something internal on the thermostat that
measures fractions of a degree?

Possibly could be an excessively sensitive thermostat or perhaps there's
a breeze blowing by it that it's sensing on the switching element or
something similar. *It may also have a sensitivity adjustment,
particularly if it is digital, not analog.

--

I've gone through the installation manual and there is an option to
set the cycles per hour, but nothing about sensitivity.- Hide quoted text -

There must be a setting for degree setback . On my Lux it has 1- 10 ,
I have it set I think at 3 or 4 and it is not degrees, but it is not
at this location so I dont know . Modern thermostasts have this
option, read your non understandable, illogical, *Chinese manual that
came with it..Or just set setback up 1 number and experement.- Hide quoted text -

Another cold night of drafty windows. *Winds were blowing from the
south and the rooms on the south side of the house experienced a temp
of 66 while the thermostat was at 69.- Hide quoted text -

I just googled and found SilverLine windows are a division of Anderson
which are tops, Contact Anderson also I think a rep will come out for
free immediatly, Anderson did for me, Being a division of Anderson
they should be well made- Hide quoted text -

After doing some digging on Silverline's website, I found the
following:

"The ENERGY STAR program was developed by the US Department of Energy
and the US Environmental Protection Agency to help consumers identify
products that save energy and, therefore, keep your home more
comfortable. All Silver Line windows and patio doors, when ordered
with the appropriate glass, meet or exceed the ENERGY STAR guidelines
in all 50 states."

- All Silver Line windows ... when ordered with the appropriate glass,
meet or exceed the ENERGY STAR guidelines...". Now, were my windows
ordered with the appropriate glass... thats the question...