Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default comparing over the range microwave vs vent hood

"LPLZ" u40406@uwe wrote in message news:7db64f3f76659@uwe...
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me in determining the how effective
the OTR microwave is in taking away smoke/odor/grease compared to the vent
hood. I know that that hood is far superior to the microwave in all
respects.
We will have a vent that leads outside of the house. We are leaning
towards
the microwave only because it saves us a lot of space. We are wondering
what
is the maximum amount of burners used for the over the range microwave to
work at its Maximum effectiveness to remove the smoke/smell/grease.

Thank you so very much for your time.

Happy New Year!

Putting a powerful electronic device in a plume caused from smoke, atomized
grease, and steam has never seemed like a good idea to me. Neither does
sticking your face into that plume reaching over boiling liquids or hot oils
to take superhot food out of a chest high microwave.

I've had them, and I will NEVER, repeat NEVER put a microwave over a stove
again. All you end up with is a scungy microwave that's impossible to clean
around. And expose yourself time after time after time to hot surfaces,
liquids, and foods.

Putting a stove vent in combo with a microwave was a good marketing idea.
If you cook much, you know how bad a practical idea it is. 99% of the
microwave/hood combos I have seen weren't even vented to the outside. Sucks
out the smoke from the stove and spews it right back into the room, less a
few percent that sticks to the inside of the ducts and turns to glop.
Commercial restaurants have to shut down their entire kitchen occasionally
to have their ductwork cleaned over the stoves. With a microwave/hood
combo, you have ductwork that CAN NOT BE CLEANED.

Get a good vent hood. And a good microwave. And keep them separated. That
is what I do.

Steve