Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_2_] JC[_2_] is offline

Default CCW stops robbery...lucky!

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
| Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman-
| :
|
| In article ,
| Jim Yanik wrote:
|
| Kurt Ullman wrote in
| :
|
| In article ,
| "JC" wrote:
|

| I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
| was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
| he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
| Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.
|
| The robber's weapon was unloaded.
|
| Quote;
| The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
| of
| the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
| racked
| the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."
|
| endquote
|
| "to load a round in the chamber";not "load another round".
| Sounds empty to me.
|
| When I was doing my quals training as a reserve deputy in the late
| 70s, unloaded was generally nothing at all in the firearm. Not having a
| round in the chamber was scoffed at in this context, probably less so in
| a civilian, but was still considered loaded. Don't know if usage has
| changed any in the meantime.
|

| Merrell could easily have been shot while racking the slide.
| that is an "effect"....not a good one,though.
|
| I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.
|
| Two in the torso, one in the head. You are now safe and the bad guy
| is now dead.
|

| no,double tap,then EVALUATE.
| doing a head shot after a double tap with the threat already neutralized
is
| murder.
|
| --
| Jim Yanik
| jyanik
| at
| kua.net

I disagree. One, two or even three shots right to the head. I've two bullet
scars in the chest to prove that someone can still get off a kill shot AFTER
being shot in the torso. If you wait to "assess" the threat, your chances of
survival are very slim. I was very, very lucky over 40 years ago, that my
encounter was with a drunk gone crazy in a beer joint. I have since made it
a promise to myself that if I ever have such an encounter again, I'll shoot
first, ask questions later and take my chances.