Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default which dro option is best suited for a 3 in 1 machine?

On Jan 4, 8:52*am, Modat22 wrote:
I'm looking at a shumatech dro kit for my smithy 1220ltd. I'm a
complete amateur with my machine and can't decide if the milling
version or the lathe version is best for my use.

If you're a complete amateur, I suggest learning manual layout and
machining techniques first. Sometimes you have to rework a part you
don't have a drawing for, which doesn't have a good reference for your
zero, and you have to work from scribed lines and punch marks and cut
to fit. It's a good skill to learn and not always slower than using a
DRO.

I'm happy to use the CNC Bridgeport if a company shop has one, but my
own machines have only dials.

Jim Wilkins