Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Good vertical bandsaw?

On Jan 4, 10:49*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
I wasn't able to find a decent bench top bandsaw. I need to be able
to cut metal to shape a part. Horizontal / vertical bandsaws seem too
half-assed to cut metal accurately.

Rules of the game: 115v, 20A.
Metals range from aluminum to cast iron to CRS to 4140

Price, I'd love 0$, and they'd ship it for free, but $300 to $500 is OK
if it works well, cuts square, and lasts.

Most of the stuff will be either rod, angle, or small (maybe 6") stock.
No engine blocks.

SOME of the 4x6 bandsaws are OK. Mine will cut 1/2" thick by 6" wide
steel the hard way, and its adjustable blade guides can be set to cut
square within about 0.005" per inch. It could probably be set more
closely but I use it to cut structural steel outdoors on uneven ground
and the frame twists.

Jim Wilkins