Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Drilling question...

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:24:36 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

I have one of those Horrible Freight 1/2 vertical size drill presses. 3
step pulley wheels to set the speeds, etc..

I need to drill 4 holes in some 3/4" mystery-metal plate. I'm looking to
drill 3/4" holes to be able to pass 5/8" bolts with a little bit of margin
for error. This is going to be the base of my power hammer.

Sloppy holes to fasten the plate to the floor? Since you don't have
the appropriate tool to drill the holes, burn them with a torch. A
1/4" hole punched with a hand drill will make it easier to start the
cut.

I do have a cutting torch, but I'm not that good with it. I've only used
it for about 1/2 hour over the last 8 years. I can cut, but it is pretty
sloppy.