Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Good vertical bandsaw?

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Has anyone installed different pulleys to do that?

I have a bandsaw that is belted down with a manufactured stand.
I don't suggest this but include this to show how it works and what I think
are the weak points.

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/bandsawbelt.txt
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/bandsawbelt.jpg

The text file is below

These are some photos of an old Grob belt reduction base that is
mounted under my 14" Delta bandsaw to reduce the blade to metal
cutting speed.

The motor has a 2 1/2 in pulley and reduces the speed through two
10"-2 1/2" combination pulleys finally ending in an 8" pulley on
the saw.

The motor mount is not original but is probably of a similar design.

The right side of the photo shows the pulley adjustment mechanism.

It drives the saw at about 120 fpm and is not really adjustable.
I could drop out one 10" pulley and get it to run about 500fpm but
that's about it.

It is driven by a 1/4 hp motor. I can and do stop the blade regularly.

The problem is not the motor, but the last reduction. At that belt
speed (87 fpm) the pulley can only transmit .05 hp or so. If I were
designing this from scratch, I would use a chain drive at this point.

Although, if were designing this from scratch I think I would use a
gear reducer.

Paul K. Dickman