Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Good vertical bandsaw?

Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:55:56 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Louis Ohland wrote:

I wasn't able to find a decent bench top bandsaw. I need to be able
to cut metal to shape a part. Horizontal / vertical bandsaws seem too
half-assed to cut metal accurately.

Rules of the game: 115v, 20A.
Metals range from aluminum to cast iron to CRS to 4140

Motor about 1/2HP?
SFM below 100
Make of sawblade? May use one blade for a specific material.
Changeable speeds?

Price, I'd love 0$, and they'd ship it for free, but $300 to $500 is OK
if it works well, cuts square, and lasts.

I think you'll need to buy one of the inexpensive 14" wood cutting
bandsaws and repower it with additional belts / gearing to a metal
cutting compatible speed. I think all the "real" vertical metal bandsaws
will be real $$$.

I did that with an old Craftsman and a speed reducer made with chains
and sprockets. The frame wasn't stiff enough for metal cutting loads
so it tossed blades frequently. It worked, but not well. Then the
bearings wore out.

Someone here, GWE maybe, built a bandsaw and reported good results.

No, wasn't me .. I got a Walker Turner and fixed it, have used it since.

Grant