Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Drilling question...

Can you put the drill press on the floor? If so, all you need to do is
to prop up the 260 pound plate the the height of the base table of the
drill press. Then you can slide it around as needed.
How about using a hole saw for the holes? I am using hole saws as
large as 1/2" diameter at 375 rpm to go through 1 1/2" thick mild steel.
Ought to work for you at the (probably) 500 rpm slowest speed you'll
have. If you do use the hole saw, clear chips REAL frequently!!! And
use lots of oil.
Every 10 years of so, I buy a gallon of "dark pipe threading oil" and
put it in my quart cutting oil can as needed, for everything but
aluminum and real small drill bits. It's the sulphurized kind and came
highly recommended by my machine shop instructor.

For the 1/2 inch holes:
Make the die holder first so you can use its holes as a template to
properly position the holes in the end of the anvil. (Ron Kinyon style
air hammer?)

Clamp the bar to the side of your workbench. Turn the drill press
sideways on the bench and clamp it in place so the head can overhang the
bench and reach the end of the bar. You might even tack weld the die
holder in its proper place temporarily. Or, locate it properly and use
a transfer punch to locate one hole. Drill and tap that hole. Bolt the
die holder in place and transfer punch the other 3. Relocate bar and
drill press head and continue.

The rubber mat is a good idea, but I don't think you need the wood. My
main trip hammer is simply glued to a 1/2" thick piece of rubber belting
which is, in turn, glued to the concrete floor (with silicon sealer).
It has been there since 1986.

Sounds like you have quite a job on your hands. Good luck at it.
Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

Todd Rich wrote:
I have one of those Horrible Freight 1/2 vertical size drill presses. 3
step pulley wheels to set the speeds, etc..

I need to drill 4 holes in some 3/4" mystery-metal plate. I'm looking to
drill 3/4" holes to be able to pass 5/8" bolts with a little bit of margin
for error. This is going to be the base of my power hammer. Below this
plate will be rubber matting and some wood as a buffer between it and the
concrete floor. The plate itself weighs about 260#s. I figured I could
use my engine hoist to hold one end of the plate and clamp the other end
on the drill press for drilling. I'm not sure I can gear it down enough
though for that large of a bit. Does this seem like a good plan?

I also have an Index vertical 40 mill, but no real clamping set for it,
just a mill vise.

The other question I had was that I needed to drill and tap 4 1/2-13 holes
on one end of a 32" long 6 1/2" bar of, you guessed it, mystery metal.
I'm wondering if renting a magnetic drill press would be a good idea for
this. The dimensions are going to be a lot tighter as this will be where
the power hammer dies are bolted down.

Todd