Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Drilling question...

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
3/4" hole... Bench top or small drill press? Doable... Not fun.

It uses the same head as their full size model, just has a shorter pole
holding it up.

3/4" should probably be run at around 300-350 RPM if you don't know what the
material is presuming it is steel-like. Use coolant of some sort. Worst
case, brush some engine oil on the tip of the drill bit prior to and during
the process. If it smokes then stops, HALT and add more.

Steel like, not cast. It has been torch cut and behaved like steel. I
don't really have a coolant setup but I was going to be brushing on tap
magic.

Tap the holes by hand... Drill them in the same basic way if you can.

I have a nice big tap wrench. I was a bit worried about drilling for
them, because the bar is longer than the distance between the base and
the head of the drill press. I'd have to mount the press on something to
give it enough height, and turn the head, and I'm not sure I'll get good
perpendicular holes.

Good luck doing it with that small drill press. I presume you will be using
a standard 3/4" drill and not something with a smaller starter (step drill)
or so? You may have a hard time starting on a precision location...

I haven't bought the drill bit yet. I could get a step drill to start it,
or or drill a pilot hole first.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022