Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Drilling question...

3/4" hole... Bench top or small drill press? Doable... Not fun.

3/4" should probably be run at around 300-350 RPM if you don't know what the
material is presuming it is steel-like. Use coolant of some sort. Worst
case, brush some engine oil on the tip of the drill bit prior to and during
the process. If it smokes then stops, HALT and add more.

Tap the holes by hand... Drill them in the same basic way if you can.

Good luck doing it with that small drill press. I presume you will be using
a standard 3/4" drill and not something with a smaller starter (step drill)
or so? You may have a hard time starting on a precision location...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
I have one of those Horrible Freight 1/2 vertical size drill presses. 3
step pulley wheels to set the speeds, etc..

I need to drill 4 holes in some 3/4" mystery-metal plate. I'm looking to
drill 3/4" holes to be able to pass 5/8" bolts with a little bit of margin
for error. This is going to be the base of my power hammer. Below this
plate will be rubber matting and some wood as a buffer between it and the
concrete floor. The plate itself weighs about 260#s. I figured I could
use my engine hoist to hold one end of the plate and clamp the other end
on the drill press for drilling. I'm not sure I can gear it down enough
though for that large of a bit. Does this seem like a good plan?

I also have an Index vertical 40 mill, but no real clamping set for it,
just a mill vise.

The other question I had was that I needed to drill and tap 4 1/2-13 holes
on one end of a 32" long 6 1/2" bar of, you guessed it, mystery metal.
I'm wondering if renting a magnetic drill press would be a good idea for
this. The dimensions are going to be a lot tighter as this will be where
the power hammer dies are bolted down.

Todd