Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to shave a bit off ceramic tiles?

In article ,
Clive Page writes:
There are a couple of places in the house where ceramic wall tiles have
pulled away from the plaster underneath, and some more sound hollow when
tapped so are likely to pull away soon. Investigation shows they won't
expanded, which seems unlikely).

It seems a lot of work to remove and re-lay the entire tiled wall, so
I'd prefer just to re-fit the few which have pulled away, as the rest
seem firm enough. But this means taking a tiny bit, less than a
millimetre, off the edge of a few tiles. I am guessing that it would
not be an easy thing to do with a tile cutter or a tile saw. I suspect
it could be done by grinding or filing along the edge, but I'm not sure
of the best tool for the job.

Often they are very soft. Rubbing on a sheet of sandpaper
would so it, or a belt sander even faster. This even works
with quite hard ceramic floor tiles.

--
Andrew Gabriel