Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default CCW stops robbery...lucky!

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

The robber's weapon was unloaded.

Quote;
The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
of
the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
racked
the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

endquote

"to load a round in the chamber";not "load another round".
Sounds empty to me.

When I was doing my quals training as a reserve deputy in the late
70s, unloaded was generally nothing at all in the firearm. Not having a
round in the chamber was scoffed at in this context, probably less so in
a civilian, but was still considered loaded. Don't know if usage has
changed any in the meantime.

Merrell could easily have been shot while racking the slide.
that is an "effect"....not a good one,though.

I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.

Two in the torso, one in the head. You are now safe and the bad guy
is now dead.