Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default water conditioners...do they work?

In article , "David L. Martel" wrote:
Doug,

What you seem to be saying is that softened water may contain between 0
and 200 mg. of sodium per liter I'm ok with that.

If you're on a sodium-restricted diet, you might not be ok with that.

Then say that softened
water makes bad coffee but you don't tells us whether it's the sodium and
how much sodium concentration makes the coffee bad. That doesn't work for
me.

I don't know, and I really don't care, whether it's the presence of sodium, or
the absence of calcium, or the phase of the moon or whatever that makes
soft-water coffee taste like crap. Soft water makes awful coffee. In my
opinion. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Don't agree with me? Enjoy it.
Just don't invite me over for coffee, ok? g

I have a softener because my water contains about 35 gpg of hardness,
probably calcium. I do make coffee and tea with the softened water. It's
fine for this, in my opinion. The unsoftened water makes terrible tea,
there's a precipitate.
Explain how much sodium is required to produce your bad coffee. My
experience argues that some sodium is ok.

I have no idea. If you like it, fine. But I won't be having coffee at your
house.

--
Regards,