Ron Thompson

Default heating element spliceing question

Some time back, I managed to scrounge up another Thermalyne heat
treating oven. Cute lil thing, about a 5x5x8 cavity.

Checking to see why it wouldnt heat, I found that one leg of the
heating element had broken.

This particular oven has three sides made of the element embedded in a
ceramic, so three sides come out at one time. The leg from the switch
broke off flush with the top of the ceramic. I carefuly chipped away
at the ceramic until I got about 3/8" of the lead exposed. It needs
about a 3" piece of some thing spliced to it, to make the run to the
terminal strip. The original was just a long piece of the heating
element. Ive tried crimping a wire connector to it, but it seems to
not grab very well and pulled loose while reinstalling the unit. I
gave it a quick shot with the mig welder using regular welding wire
and gas, and it held for a bit, but was still a bit fragile and broke
free while installing it.

Ive since installed the heating unit, and have a new lead run and
overlapping the stub.

How do I splice them together? I do have temporary use of a mig with
gas, and stainless wire as well as regular. I also have a tiny bit of
silver solder, regular brazing rod, etc etc.

Any suggestions? Its possible I can excavate a bit more wire for a nut
and bold mechanical connection...but would rather not break out any
more of the ceramic.

Thanks in advance.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

The only right way to repair a broken element is with a new element.
If this requires new "ceramic," you can patch or make a complete new
one with castable refractory or possibly furnace cement.
It is not a daunting task. People make metal and glass melting
furnaces every day.

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)