Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default CCW stops robbery...lucky!

"JC" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 1:33 pm, "TomCat" wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

Harry K wrote in
news:8969eafc-3fa4-4a92-bb75-
:

This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which
follows.
To view this item online, visit
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59503

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived

A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with
halting
an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the
assailant until police arrived.

According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51,
was
in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's
south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun
on
a store employee."

The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened
at
5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end
shopping.

"While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to
the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the
robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."

The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
of
the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
racked
the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

YIKES!

At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag
of
cash on the counter, dropping some of the money . the suspect removed
his mask and lay on the floor."

Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers
arrived
and took him away in handcuffs.

Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and
they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from
the
suspect.

Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion
County
Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal
confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun
without
a license.

Outstanding that the robbery was stopped by a CCW person.

That person needs a bit of instructions on using a weapon for such
things.

What was he doing pointing an unloaded weapon at the robber?

Insanity.He probably realized it after he drew....

Lesson#1 - never point a gun at someone unless you plan to use it.

My first thought when reading this was that everyone there was lucky.
Had the robber's gun been loaded I can see an entirely different
ending.

Harry K

Harry K

I recall reading about a customer in a similar situation who drew his
concealed handgun and yelled "halt" to stop a robber,and the robber
spun
and shot him dead.

Darwin Award.

A gun alone doesn't guarantee tactical superiority of a situation.

To quote Kenny Rogers

"You gotta know when to hold em,
know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away,
and know when to run

Now evry gambler knows that the secret to survivin
Is knowin what to throw away and knowin what to keep.
cause evry hands a winner and evry hands a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep"

a civilian CCW holder pulling a gun on a robbery,
that doesn't involve them directly - is rolling the
dice - (tactically speaking).

may turn out fine, may not.

and what the hell does all this have to do with
home repair ???????- Hide quoted text -

what the hell does all this have to do with home repair?

I put it right up there with all the "Cheap Brand Jewelry" crap on here.

Is it tough being a genius?

I mean, with a subject line like "CCW stops robbery ... lucky!", I can see
how a person of your IQ would confuse it with a thread about home repair and
continue to read on and be confused.

Steve