Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default water conditioners...do they work?

In article , Freddy wrote:

Because of the added sodium? =A0No facts or figures but I am reasonably
sure you'd get more sodium in one slice of pizza or small can of V8
than you would by drinking gallons of softenedwater.

Change "gallons" to "a gallon" and you'll be pretty close, I think.

Hard water may contain 100mg per liter of calcium or more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water
Thus, it's conceivable that completely softened water may have in the
neighborhood of 200+mg of sodium per liter (it takes two sodium ions to
replace one calcium ion), or, very roughly, 750mg per gallon.

Ha...yes because of the sodium, and i assume it would also alter the
taste of coffee or anything else for that matter....

Coffee made with soft water is horrible, just awful. It makes pretty lousy
tea, too. And it's bad for plants.

--
Regards,