Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason Howe Jason Howe is offline

Default Oil Furnace to Electric Furnace

SteveC wrote:
We currently have an Oil burning funace heating Hot Water radiant
baseboards. Oil is getting expensive where we live, $0.88 cents per liter.
We are thinking of adding an Electric Furnace to the existing Oil Furnace,
sort of Hybrid system, Just in case I guess. Electicity is $0.09 cents a
KWh, which is not too bad, for now. We always get price hikes though and
could rise. I know that an Electric furnace is 100% Efficient, which is
better then the 80% or so efficiency of the oil furnace.

Anyway, anyone have any advice or things to watch out for, makes/models are
best?

I live in Newfoundland, Canada if that matters.

When it comes to electric heat, I look at it this way: Electricity is
generated by burning fuel of whatever kind. This fuel burns and spins
turbines to generate electricity. This electricity comes into your
house, and then through resistance you turn it back into heat.

So, while the end units may be efficient with the power they get, there
are all sorts of losses associated with generation and transmission of
electricity.

Why not just burn fuel for heating locally and cut out the middle man?

Even if right now its cheaper to heat with electric, overall it's a very
expensive way to heat a building.

New high-efficiency boilers can easily achieve 95% efficiency.

Jason