Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Good vertical bandsaw?

On sale! Only $998!!!

woodworker88 wrote:
On Jan 3, 10:28 am, Louis Ohland wrote:

You might want to look at the Wilton saws. I know Wilton is good with
the quality, and in my last Rutland Tool catalog, they had several
smaller models alongside their larger floor models (I'd personally
love to have a 20" roll-in, but alas, no more $$ in the budget nor
room in the shop). Looking at their website, their smallest saw is a
14", 1HP, 110V, with both metal (39-278 SFM) and wood (3300 SFM)
speeds. I think that you'll find that anything smaller than a 14"
vertical bandsaw is going to be far too flimsy for serious metal
cutting. You can stick it on a mobile base and it'd be plenty
portable, much better, IMO, than heaving one on and off the bench.
Also, Enco and others sell dedicated metalcutting blades for the 14"
saws, unlike the smaller machines, for which you'll need to use
woodworking blades or weld your own. At just under $1000 (Enco:
http://tinyurl.com/yr2bwk), it's probably going to be one of your best
options.

Hope that helps
ww88