Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Oil Furnace to Electric Furnace

On Jan 3, 9:45*am, "SteveC" wrote:
We currently have an Oil burning funace heating Hot Water radiant
baseboards. *Oil is getting expensive where we live, $0.88 cents per liter.
We are thinking of adding an Electric Furnace to the existing Oil Furnace,
sort of Hybrid system, Just in case I guess. *Electicity is $0.09 cents a
KWh, which is not too bad, for now. *We always get price hikes though and
could rise. *I know that an Electric furnace is 100% Efficient, which is
better then the 80% or so efficiency of the oil furnace.

Anyway, anyone have any advice or things to watch out for, makes/models are
best?

I live in Newfoundland, Canada if that matters.

--
Steve

Hey Steve,

I too was considering the "swap" but felt that the savings were nil
based on adding to or replacing a perfectly good oil furnace with an
electric unit. The only way I would consider this is when the life of
my oil furnace is on it's last legs. How long would it take to gain
back in savings the cost of the new furnace? As well the inevitable
(sp) retro fit of the Holyrood Generating Station to get away from
burning Bunker C crude / cost difference between current fuel type and
a sweeter crude will be at the expense of the consumer. At the end of
the day what you burn in your furnace will be no cheaper than what you
will get from the grid (IMO). In the mean time I have realized
substancial savings by upgrading my windows / adding more insulation
and installing a woodstove as a secondary heat source.