Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default How much does speaker polarity matter?

jakdedert wrote:
clifto wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote:
If you think about it, the bass drum head itself doesn't move much
when it`s hit by the beater, why should the speaker.

Because the music from the speaker expects the bass drum to be
considerably
louder than the actual bass drum was when recorded.

Stick your head in a bass drum sometime and tell me if it's loud or not.
Okay, you meant relative to the other instruments, but even then, spend
some time in a rock band rehearsal room and tell me again about loud....

Absolutely, a drumkit should be thought of as one instrument, rather
than a collection of drums. A decent kit has all the parts nicely
balanced with each other.
For a lot of big band work, we often mike up a normal drumkit with just
two overhead mikes - just one if there`s no need for stereo. The bass
drum comes through just fine[1] Of course, it ALL depends on the talent
of the man playing the drums.

[1] I am of course referring to live sound reinforcement.

Ron(UK)