Terry

Default Plasterboard thickness for ceilings

David wrote:

"James W" wrote in message
om...
I have plasterboarded my ceiling with the 4 or 5 mm stuff. It is
screwed onto battons I had attached to the existing ceiling. It is
fine in most places, however at its worst parts you can push it in and
it bends in. Will I need to redo the whole thing with the thicker
plasterboard? Or will the skim coat a plasterer will apply be OK? The
ceiling is fairly high and in a bedroom so I dont expect many people
to be pushing and prodding it.

Thanks in advance

James

Standard is 9 mm for ceilings

Learn something all the time! Didn't even know one could get 4-5
mm plasterboard (roughly quarter inch?). Thirty years ago, here,
the most commonly used (residentially) was three eighths (9mm).
Now half inch (12mm) is standard for just about everything, cos
of 'fire rating'! Ceilings usually strapped every 12 inches but
occasionally every 16 inches.
Rather than take down the existing could James just put up
another layer of 4-5 mm (or perhaps better, 9mm.) or would it
sag? I gues it would need about 5 to 8 sheets to do typical room
ceiling? What would that cost?
Terry.