Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default cost of building a home

In article c3fbf666-3c5c-45b3-bb5b-
,
) says...
Okay to be more specific--

One story home on almost 10 acres, with a well and septic, completely
flat cleared land. Just a basic house I guess, nothing out of the
ordinary.
We want quality, energy efficient, but no marble
Maybe pergo or some type of laminate, tile, nice but not over the top,
affordability is important, which is why I am asking.
How do I go about planning a good project without going way over
budget. We want a nice house and heard horror stories from hiring the
wrong GC, so were considering taking it on ourselves. I am wondering
are the questions I should be asking and how do I go about finding
quality work?
Does this answer questions? If I need more specifics please ask, as I
don't know the answer without the question

Do you have any experience with rural living? Rural homes tend to be
smaller and more spread out. A 2500 SF house, a 2000 SF detached
garage/shop, another 1500 SF barn for hay and livestock and another shed
(fairly near the shop) for equipment storage. An RV pad with a full
hookup will be a big attraction when you sell the place. Just don't
dump an RV holding tank into a septic tank. You will overload the
system. In Florida, you can probably pass on the greenhouse, but a
couple of large cold frames would be nice if someone in the family has a
green thumb. Don't put all your money into a house, when other
buildings will do you more good.

To develop maximum value, you need to plan the estate. Setting is
crucial in the country. You need to integrate the buildings with the
landscaping and fencing. Don't forget garbage and recycling. Plunk an
unmodified urban house down in a rural setting and it will take a lot of
work to keep it from looking like a junk yard. Drive around and look
for really attractive country places to get some ideas of what is
possible.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.