Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any suggestions on how to flatten a hard Arkansas stone?

A rock slab saw would treat that like butter.
They cut Agate easily. 36" or 24" radius diamond wheels.
Is there a hobby club in town ?
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

SteveB wrote:
"toolman946 via CraftKB.com" u40139@uwe wrote in message
I have a black, hard Arkansas oil stone that's probably close to 100 years
old (handed down from grandpa). The surface isn't flat anymore and it has
some chips and dings from many years of service. It doesn't seem to cut
very
well too, and I'm guessing the pores are filled with dirt and dross. I've
read about techniques to clean the surface (such as a good long soak in
an
oil dissolving cleaner and baking in a stove) and I had been planning to
go
at the surface with a diamond grit flat stone of similar width. Has
anyone
had any experience (good or bad) with rejuvenating an old timer like
this?

'preciate your comments...

Cheers.

Michael

My diamond blade tile saw has diamonds up the sides about 1 1/4". I would
think that one could carefully touch the stone to the sides of the spinning
blade and come up with a flat surface. That would depend, of course on the
total size of the stone and the throat of the tile cutter.. One could mount
the stone to the rolling tray so as to only shave off 1/16 or so on each
pass. It's hard to say without seeing it, but I have seen cutting wheels
that the diamonds run up the sides for quite a ways.

Other than that, maybe a carbide router blade?

Steve

Steve