Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

In message , at 22:57:08 on Wed, 2
Jan 2008, magwitch remarked:

What's this obsession with colour lasers? Can't a pdf do the same
job?

pdf's need someone with a computer to read them (and a situation
where a computer is usable).

10 years ago we found an internet cafe on a tiny little island in the
Caribbean (Union Island), in fact my friend resigned from her job in
Cambridge using the computer there.

Very interesting, but what has that to do with conducting meetings by
emailing pdfs around, rather than handing people bits of paper?

And when a document gets over a dozen pages even
that can be a headache. Here's a typical pdf that I'd find a great
deal easier to digest (and stick post-it notes on to highlight the
important parts I needed to relay to someone) on paper:

So extract the relevant pages from the pdf and just send them those.

No *I* need an annotated copy of the document so that I can re-find
references within it in, and be able to say as quickly and easily as
possible "ah, but on page 15, para 2, they say ...."

If you want to make comments use the note attachment placed next to the
paragraphs €” I frequently use this to give instructions to printers.

It's far quicker and easier using real bits of paper.

http://www.icann.org/annualreport/an...-2006-2007.pdf
And that's one where an "original" pdf is available. I'd hate to see
what it looked like if someone tore a printed copy apart and tried to
scan it (or the time that would take).

But why would they need to do that?

If the original wasn't available as a pdf, and you wanted to send copies
to a group of co-workers. This is exactly where we came in a week ago
when I said "you can't email me 50 colour copies of a document..."
--
Roland Perry