Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How much does speaker polarity matter?

In article ,
Ron(UK) wrote:
One might think that, but flipping the polarity on a kik drum mike has
little if any effect on the sound through the PA. Sometimes I mike a
bass drum from both sides, using a 'bassdrum' mike on the front head and
a normal instrument mike on the batter head. Reversing the polarity of
the batter head mike does make a difference in this instance.

It's normal in any multi-mic situation to go round all the mics at check
time with one on a long cable etc and check the phase of them all.

(For those not clear on how to do this you place them close together and
talk. The sound mixer then fades then both up to the same level and
reverses the phase of one. You will get a large drop in level etc when
they're out of phase.)

Of course most good make mics, cables and mixers will be in phase with
themselves - but it's sometimes not the case with all makes of mics and of
course you have to allow for careless repairs.

Deliberately reversing the phase on one mic or group of mics is sometimes
used for operational reasons.

Other one to look out for is ribbon mics. Turning them round reverses the
phase and it may be convenient for mic placement to use the back rather
than the front.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.